This is a repeat of my blog post on Team bike and team jerseys at the Amgen tour of California. Somehow I posted two versions, so in this version I have elaborated on clothing and equipment sponsors for each team.
"You look so pro!"
The look is called pro, but being pro requires a legion of support staff and dedicated sponsors and partners. I know the riders work hard but they get to race on the best bike equipment in the industry. Sponsors give huge amounts of equipment or support to the teams in hopes that the spectators will see the high level of performance and want it for themselves.
|Peter Sagan, the perfect model for promoting cycling apparel. ©Photo by Karen Rakestraw of Pedal Dancer Photography®|
Equipment on the bike and on the rider:
- BMC Racing Team (USA) - BMC bikes, Shimano, Mavic, Garmin, FSA, Rock Tape, fi’zi:k. Pearl Izumi clothing, Giro helmets, Oakley glasses.
- Cannondale Pro Cycling Team (USA) - Cannondale bikes, Shimano, Mavic, Garmin, FSA, Rock Tape, fi’zi:k. Castelli clothing, POC helmets and glasses.
- Dimension Data (South Africa) - Cervélo bikes, Roto Uno / Shimano, ENVE, Continental, fi’zi:k, Speedplay, Rotor, Lizard Skins. Met helmets, Oakley glasses.
- Etixx – Quick-Step (Belgium) - Specialized bikes, Shimano, HED, Rovel, FSA. Vermarc clothing, Specialized helmet and glasses.
- Giant – Alpecin (Germany) - Giant bikes, Shimano, Vittoria, Pro, Pioneer, Polar. Exteondo clothing, Giant helmets, Oakley glasses.
- Katusha (Russia) - Canyon bikes, SRAM, Zipp, Quarq. Katusha clothing, Giro helmets.
- LottoNL – Jumbo (Netherlands) - Bianche bikes, Shimano, FSA, Selle San Marco, Vittoria. SMS Santini clothing, Bell helmets, New Balance apparel.
- Sky (Great Britain) - Pinarello bikes, Shimano, PRO, Stages, fi’zi:k. Rapha clothing, Kask helmets, Oakley glasses, Asics apparel.
- Tinkoff (Russia) - Specialized bikes, Shimano, FSA, Roval, HED, Look, Prologo, SRM. Sportful clothing, Oakley glasses.
- Trek – Segafredo (USA) - Trek bikes, Shimano, Bontrager, SRM. Bontrager helmets, Oakley glasses.
|Trek bikes ready to race. ©Photo by Karen Rakestraw of Pedal Dancer Photography®|
- Direct Énergie (France) - BH bikes, Shimano / FSA
- Novo Nordisk (USA) - Colnago bikes
- United Healthcare (USA) - Wilier bikes, Shimano
- Axeon Hagens Berman (USA) - Specialized bikes, SRAM
- Holowesko – Citadel Racing Team (USA) - Felt bikes, Shimano
- Jelly Belly – Maxxis (USA) - Argon bikes
- Rally Cycling (USA) - Diamond Back bikes, SRAM
- Team Wiggins (Great Britain) - Pinarello bikes, SRAM
|Bikes lined up before the stage at ATOC in 2015. ©Photo by Karen Rakestraw of Pedal Dancer Photography®|
|Getting the bikes ready. ©Photo by Karen Rakestraw of Pedal Dancer Photography®|
You can buy Amgen Tour of California apparel and classification jerseys at the ATOC Shop. Champion Systems is the jersey sponsor for the classification jerseys at the Tour of California.
|Classification jerseys for the 2016 Amgen Tour of California|
Need a bike?
Of particular interest to the amateur cyclist's price point (depending on the build) would be the bikes of Team Katusha, Team Giant-Alpecin, Novo-Nordisk, Holowesko-Citadel, Direct Energie, Trek-Segafredo and Rally.
If you have no budget (or just want to drool over extravagant bikes) check out the bikes of Team SKY, Tinkoff, BMC, Etixx-Quickstep, United Healthcare, Axeon Hagens Berman, Dimension Data or the magnificent Team Wiggins team bike.
Win a BMC bike
You have a chance to win a BMC bike custom painted by Taylor Phinney, enter bike contest on VeloNews.
Guess whose bike this is? You will see it at the Tour of California in May (but you can't have it).
|This is one of Peter Sagan's bikes. A very colorful Specialized Venge. Photo via tinkoffteam.com|
Read more about the WorldTour sponsors: Pro Team Sponsors – What Do They Do? By Inner Ring (descriptions of the products sponsors make).
One of my favorite sponsor combos:
|A Mini Cooper with Giant Bikes. Photo via teamgiantalpecin.com|
Let's take a look at what you will see as fans out on the road during the upcoming eight stages of the Amgen Tour of California. If you attend a start of any stage, be sure to walk by the team buses and check out the bikes lined up securely outside.
UCI WorldTour Teams
BMC Racing Team (USA)
|BMC jersey. Photo via @|
|BMC team BMC Teammachine SLR01 Dura Ace Di2. Photo via bmc-switzerland.com|
|Cannondale jersey. Photo via @Ride_Argyle|
|Cannondale team Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-MOD. Photo via www.cannondale.com|
|Dimension Data jersey. Photo via @|
|Dimension Data team Cervelo S5 aero road bike. Photo via Dimension Data africasteam.com, Stiehl Photography|
|Etixx-Quickstep jersey. Photo via @|
|Etixx-Quickstep team Specialized SWorks. Photo via Etixx-Quickstep website, photo (c) TDWsport.com|
|Giant-Alpecin jersey. Photo via @|
|Giant-Alpecin team Giant TCR bike. Photo via teamgiantalpecin.com|
|Katusha jerseys. Photo via @|
Katusha swapped from Shimano to SRAM this year, and from Mavic to Zipp wheels this years, they also ride Canyon bikes, all products continuing to grow in tremendous popularity in the United States among amateur cyclists.
|Katusha team Canyon bike. Photo via sram.com|
|Lotto Jumbo jersey. Photo @|
|LottoNL-Jumbo team Bianchi bike Oltre XR2. Photo via teamlottojumbo.com|
|Team SKY jersey. Photo via @|
|SKY team Pinarello Dogma F8. Photo via pinarello.com|
|Tinkoff jersey. Photo via @|
|Tinkoff team Specialized Tarmac. Photo via tinkoffteam.com|
|Trek Segafredo jersey. Photo via @|
Did you know Segafredo is one company making up the MZB group based in Italy, they are the world's largest coffee producers.
|Trek-Segafredo team Trek Madone. Photo via treksegafredo.com|
Direct Énergie (France)
|Direct Energie jersey. Photo via @|
|Direct Énergie team BH bike. Photo via teamdirectenergie.com|
|Novo Nordisk jersey. Photo via @teamnovonordisk|
|Novo Nordisk Colnago bike. Photo viateamnovonordisk.com|
|United Healthcare jersey. Photo via @|
|United Healthcare team Wilier Trestina|
Axeon Hagens Berman (USA)
The Directeur Sportif for the team is Jonkheer ("The Honourable") Axel Merckx, son of Eddy Merckx who has been made a baron in Belgium.
|Axeon Hagens Berman jersey. Photo via @|
|Axeon-Hagens Berman team Specialized Tarmac. Photo via 2016.axeoncycling.com|
|Holowesko-Citadel jersey. Photo via @|
|Holowesko - Citadel team Felt bikes. Photo via twitter.com/TeamHincapie/|
|Jelly Belly jersey. Photo via @|
|Jelly Belly-Maxxis Argon 18. Photo via @|
|Rally jersey. Photo via @|
|Brad Huff on his Rally Diamond Back bike which recently won the Pro Crit USA. Photo via @|
|Wiggins jersey. Photo via @|
|Pinarello Dogma Wiggins team. Photo via twitter.com/OfficialWIGGINS|
- The order of jerseys
- Taking photos at the race, and being Media
- Top 22 tips to see the Amgen Tour of California
- How to watch the Tour of California Live in 2016
- Team jerseys and team bikes at the Tour of California
- Bikes, Equipment and Clothing at the Tour of California
- Classification jerseys for the 2016 Tour of California
- 10 UCI WorldTour Teams to compete in California
- Stage Route and Maps Tour of California 2016
- Profile Maps for the Tour of California 2016
- Tour of California Host City activities: Stages 1-4 PART I
- Tour of California Host City activities: Stages 4-8 PART II
- Tour of California Spectator Guide Page