Do you have plans to vacation and ride bikes near Steamboat Springs, Colorado this summer? Here are six cycling routes to consider, all six routes are out and back (or loop rides) from Steamboat. Please note that highways in and out of Steamboat can be busy with local truck and RV traffic, it is best to ride during non peak traffic hours.
Rabbit Ears Pass is southeast of Steamboat Springs and is a popular local climb, again featured in this year's USA Pro Challenge. If you will be visiting Steamboat Springs for the race, come early and ride the local roads with the pros. You will see riders training with their teams the weekend before the race.
Maps and ride suggestion resources are from Ride with GPS and steamboatbiketown.com. Thank you.
The 6 rides:
- Tour de Steamboat route: 111.7 miles
- Steamboat Lake and back: 64.7 miles
- Twentymile Rd - Oak Creek loop: 49 miles
- Steamboat - Stagecoach - Oak Creek loop: 41.7 miles
- Steamboat to Rabbit Ears East summit: 39.4 miles
- Steamboat Springs to Lake Catamount: 21.9 miles
1. Tour de Steamboat's Gore Gruel, by Bike Tour Rides (link to bike ride) 111.7 miles
Total Ascent: 6055
Max Elevation: 9565
Min Elevation: 6755
2. Steamboat Lake and back, by Tim Wilson (link to bike ride) 64.7 miles
Bike Town USA's version of #2 is below. watch for heavy traffic and narrow shoulder. Hahn's Peak Roadhouse is near the Lake: steamboatbiketown.com/elk-river-road/
3. Twentymile Rd - Oak Creek loop, by Tim Wilson (link to bike ride) 49 miles
Bike Town USA's rendition of the same #3 Twenty Mile / Oak Creek Loop ride over the Three Sisters / 3 big hill climbs, read more: steamboatbiketown.com/twenty-mile-oak-creek-loop/
Total Ascent: 3380
Max Elevation: 7875
Min Elevation: 6650
4. Steamboat - Stagecoach - Oak Creek loop, by Tim Wilson (link to bike ride) 41.7 miles
Bike Town USAs version of this #4 ride with a stop at Kate's Cafe in Oak Creek, read more: steamboatbiketown.com/stagecoach-oak-creek-loop/
5. Steamboat to Rabbit Ears East summit, by Jack Witt (link to bike ride) 39.4 miles
Bike Town USAs version of this same #5 ride is 28 miles long, steamboatbiketown.com/rabbit-ears-out-back/
Total Ascent: 2790 ft
Max Elevation: 9330 ft
Min Elevation: 6725 ft
6. Steamboat Springs to Lake Catamount, by 5280 Magazine (link to bike ride) 21.9 miles
Bike Town USAs version of ride #6, with a cafe stop halfway at Catamount Ranch & Club Lake House Grille. steamboatbiketown.com/catamount-out-back/
Enjoy your riding.