Every year thousands of citizens take to their bikes, pedaling to raise funds for a cause. Giving value to each pedal stroke by donating their personal time, effort and money to local and national causes. Some cyclists are motivated by personal reasons, perhaps an ill family member, friend or co-worker, others simply because giving is the right thing to do when one is able-bodied.
Contribution is a two way street in the cycling community of Colorado. Riders ride and donate, event organizers often give back to the communities that helps them make a nice ride on a bike for a purpose possible.
Sports and charity have a long tradition, and so, in recognition of the event organizers who select and organize under the name of charity, and with a nod of thanks to the riders who participate - I present this list of charity cycling events in Colorado for 2015 and a list of non-profits helping to advance cycling to youths and adults.
2017 Colorado bike calendar list: Cycling Events and Bike Rides and Race in Colorado 2017
2016 Colorado bike calendar list : Colorado Bike Event Rides Calendar & Bike Race Calendar 2016
Colorado bike rides for A CAUSE in 2015:
Put your pedal power to good use by raising funds for your favorite charity bike ride. These cycling events make a direct impact in our community by asking participants to raise funds for a cause, or by giving some of their profits to local charities:
May 9, 2015 - Mission to Ride, Montrose, 40/60/100mi (road & MTB) - The Lion's Club KidSight Program and COPMOBA
May 16, 2015 - Triple C - Century, Broomfield, 43/62/101mi - A Precious Child and Broomfield Crossing Rotary Foundation
June 6, 2015 - Pedal 4 Possible, Louisville, 100mi 10/50/100K *new - Craig Hospital
June 6-8, 2015 - Death Ride Tour, Silverton, 225mi (3-days) - ALS
June 7, 2015 - Elephant Rock, Castle Rock, 40/62/101mi - allows you to join 7 charity teams
June 13, 2015 - Pedaling for Parkinson's, Denver, 55mi - Parkinson's
June 20, 2015 - Ride for the Child, Carbondale, 100mi 50/100km - CASA of the Ninth *new
June 27, 2015 - Bike MS Fort Collins Loop, Fort Collins (1-day loop) - MS
June 27-28, 2015 - Bike MS, Fort Collins (2-days) - Multiple Sclerosis
June 28-July 5, 2015 - Fuller Center Bicycle Adventure - Leg 4, Bayfield, 400mi - housing
July 5-12, 2015 - Fuller Center Bicycle Adventure - Leg 5, Colorado Springs, 500mi - housing
July 11, 2015 - Tour de Ladies, Parker, 30/62.5mi - Douglas County Crisis Center
July 18, 2015 - Bike to Build, Alamosa, San Luis Valley, 35/60/100mi - Habitat for Humanity
July 18-20, 2015 - Courage Classic, Summit & Eagle Counties - Children's Hospital
July 19, 2015 - Gears n'Grub Culinary Ride, Castle Pines, 26mi - Project Recylce
July 25, 2015 - Colorado-Eagle River Ride, Beaver Creek, 42/68/100mi - SOS Outreach
July 25, 2015 - Grin & Barrett Black Canyon Buttkicker, Montrose - Hospital & Cancer
August 8, 2015 - BStrong Ride, Boulder, 24/69mi - Cancer
August 8, 2015 - Red Rocks Century, Red Rocks, 33/50/62/100mi - 100% Colorado charities
August 15, 2015 - Komen Colorado Ride for the Cure, Snowmass, 37/62.5/100mi - Breast Cancer
August 15, 2015 - Colorado Park to Park Challenge, Denver to Winter Park - Wish For Wheels
August 15, 2015 - Tour de Cure, Longmont, 10/50/62/100mi - Diabetes
August 15, 2015 - Boulder Bike Brew Festival, Boulder - Cyclists 4 Community
August 29, 2015 - Venus de Miles, Longmont (womens ride), 33/51/100mi - Greenhouse Scholars
August 29, 2015 - CF Cycle For Life, Highlands Ranch, 20/45/65mi - Cystic Fibrosis
August 29, 2015 - Tour of the Valley, Grand Junction, 30/50/78/100mi - Community Hospital
August 29, 2015 - Food Rescue Ride, Cherry Creek State Park, 15/30/60mi - for Denver Food Rescue
September 5, 2015 - The Axel Project Bicycle Classic, Ridgeway, 48/80mi -The Axel Project
September 7-10, 2015 - 4-H Clover Ride, Fort Collins (4-days) - 4-H Youth Development
September 13, 2015 - Wacky Bike Ride, Highlands Ranch, 100mi - Douglas County Schools
September 13, 2015 - Buffalo Bicycle Classic, Boulder, 35/50/70/100/110mi - CU Boulder
September 18-20, 2015 - The Denver Post Pedal the Plains, Eastern Plains (3-days) - The Denver Post Community Foundation
September 19, 2015 - Pedal 50, Monument, 55mi, gravel - Kids on Bikes & Trips for Kids
September 26, 2015 - Telluride 200, Telluride, 103/133/150/200mi - Trips For Kids
September 26, 2015 - Tour de Cure, Colorado Springs, 10/50/62/100mi - Diabetes
Mountain Bike CHARITY Races:
May 9, 2015 - Mission to Ride, Montrose, 60/40mi (road & MTB) - firefighters
June 20, 2015 - Bailey Hundo, Bailey, 102.47mi (MTB) - Trips for Kids
June 20, 2015 - Bailey Hundito, Bailey, (MTB) - Trips for Kids
October 18, 2015 - 12 Hours of Penitence, Penitente Canyon, 12-hr (MTB) - local trails
Colorado cycling FUNDRAISERS in 2015:
Socialize off the bike at these cycling events:
April 18, 2015 - Friendraiser - for Trips for Kids Denver/Boulder, 6pm
April 24, 2015 - Bicycle Colorado Gala Fundraiser, Denver
May 1, 3015 - Ride for Reading Denver Delivery 2015, Denver
© Copyright content of this post by Karen Rakestraw / Pedal Dancer® is a trademark for all online content.© All Photos by Karen Rakestraw.
|Photo by Karen Rakestraw of Pedal Dancer®|
Bike events supporting BICYCLE SAFETY AND ADVOCACY through support of Bicycle Colorado in 2015:
It is worth acknowledging those bike events which give back to cyclists by donating to safety and advocacy within our community. These events listed below support Bicycle Colorado by making considerable donations to be included on their website and thereby support rider safety and bicycle advocacy for the state of Colorado. (Bicycle Colorado Events Calendar)
May 2, 2015 - Gran Fondo Moab, Moab, Utah
May 16, 2015 - Triple C - Century, Broomfield, 43/62/101mi
May 17, 2015 - McKee Classic Bike Tour, Loveland, 5/30/37/60mi
May 22-25, 2015 - Durango-Silverton Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, Durango (MTB)
June 6, 2015 - Buena Vista Bicycle Festival, Buena Vista 38/50/62/97mi
June 6-8, 2015 - Death Ride Tour, Silverton, 225mi (3-days)
June 7, 2015 - Subaru Elephant Rock Cycling Festival, Castle Rock, 40/62/101mi
June 13, 2015 - Moots Ranch Rally, NW Routt County, (gravel), 50mi
June 13, 2015 - Pedaling for Parkinson's, Denver, 55mi
June 13-20, 2015 - The Denver Post Ride The Rockies, (week-long tour)
June 20, 2015 - Denver Century Ride, Denver (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4)
June 20, 2015 - Mountain Top Cycling Club Experience Ride, Woodland Park, 50/75/106mi
July 11, 2015 - Tour de Ladies, Parker, 30/62.5mi
July 11-12, 2015 - Triple Bypass, Evergreen-Avon, 120M/240mi
July 18, 2015 - Tour de Steamboat, Steamboat Springs, 25/40/110mi
July 25, 2015 - Bob Cook Memorial/Mt Evans Hill Climb, Idaho Springs
July 25, 2015 - SOS Outreach Eagle River, Beaver Creek, 42/68/100mi
August 1, 2015 - Colorado Cyclist Copper Triangle, Copper Mountain, 82mi
August 1, 2015 - Colorado Bike Law Lookout Mountain Hill Climb, Golden, 4.5mi
August 29, 2015 - CF Cycle For Life (Cystic Fibrosis), Highlands Ranch, 20/45/65mi
September 5, 2015 - The Axel Project Bicycle Classic, San Juan Mountains, 48/80mi
September 5-7 2015 - Steamboat Stage Race Citizens Ride, Steamboat Springs, 62mi
September 6, 2015 - West Elk Bicycle Classic, (paved, dirt) Gunnison-Crested Butte, 134mi
September 18-20, 2015 - The Denver Post Pedal the Plains, Eastern Plains, (3-days)
October 3, 2015 - IconLasik Tour of the Moon, Grand Junction, 62mi
October 17, 2015 - VeloSwap, Denver (annual bicycle equipment swap)
More event organizers who donate a share back into the community
Did you know that organizers of the Triple Bypass have donated over $1.3 million to various community charities over the past ten years? Your registration fees pay for far more than an excellent ride and a slice of fresh orange. "Team Evergreen actively supports bicycling and related activities to further the sport of cycling and promote its continued growth and safe enjoyment."
Although a for profit event, Ride the Rockies, the week-long bicycle tour that winds it's way through a section of Colorado every year, will award a $5000 grant to a non-profit organization based in each of the seven host cities in 2015. Ride the Rockies and Pedal the Plains multi-day event rides are both sponsored by The Denver Post and organized by the same people, Pedal the Plains donates to The Denver Post Community Foundation. You may also be guaranteed an entry into Ride the Rockies 2015 if you join Trips for Kids by March 1, 2015 and raise at least $500 for the non-profit.
Nationwide Bike Rides 2015
Every year these special event bike rides take place in various states across our nation.
Throughout the year - Tour de Cure (CO, CA, WA, OR, AZ, UT, MT, NE, AK, LA, AL, FL, AR, NM, TX, OK, TN, CT, ME, RI, NY, NJ, MA, RI, MD, VA, DC, NC, SC, VA, GA, HI, IA, MN, IL, SD, WI, IN, MO, OH, KY, KS, MN, SD, ND, PA)
Throughout the year - 2015 Schedule Honor Rides (FL, AR, TX, CA, OH, NH, IL, WI, CO, DC, NV)
Throughout the year - Wounded Warrior Project Soldier Rides (Boston, Germany, The Hamptons, Key West, Babylon)
More Charity Bike Rides NATIONWIDE:
Please refer to the website of Mad-Cycling to make a difference with your cycling by searching for charity rides across our great nation, with this one easy to use website: mad-cycling.com
Non-profit ORGANIZATIONS and Companies that benefit cycling in Colorado:
- Bicycle Colorado - Mission to encourage and promote bicycling, increase safety, improve conditions and provide a voice for cyclists in Colorado.
- Bicycles for Humanity - Bicycles delivered through community based bike shops-provide sustainable mobility solutions for rural Africans.
- Bike Denver - Denver’s bicycle advocacy organization and the leading non-profit to promote and encourage bicycling as an energy efficient, non-polluting, healthy and enjoyable transportation alternative in and around Denver.
- Bike Depot - Donated Bicycles are recycled to low income local residents through Earn A Bike programs, offers affordable service and a Fix Your Bike program.
- Bikes for Life - Children's Hospital Colorado launched Bikes For Life, a program created to help kids develop healthy lifestyle habits through bicycling, since 2011.
- Bikes & Build, Inc. - Organizes cross-country bicycle trips which benefit affordable housing groups. Specifically funds projects planned and executed by young adults.
- Cyclo Femme - Cyclo Femme is a Global Women's Cycling Day created TO HONOR THE PAST, to celebrate the present, the empower the future. 2015 date: May 10th.
- Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson's - Sponsors programs that provide the information, tools and inspiration that can be used to live well with Parkinson’s today.
- Dong's Cycling Pals - Founded in 2011 to honor our pal Dong Ngo, their goal is to inspire elementary school children to discover the joys of riding bikes. DCP offers fix a flat classes, and free repair and wrenching at charity events.
- Fort Collins Bicycle Co-op - Works in the community to offer bike refurbishing and maintenance, community education and bike safety. Also gives bikes away to non-profit or for volunteered time.
- Kids on Bikes - Vision that all children have the opportunity to experience the freedom and joy of owning their own bikes while gaining confidence.
- People for Bikes - Founded by bicycle industry leaders with the mission of "putting more people on bikes more often by connecting millions of riders," they hope to be a single powerful voice for bicycling.
- Project Recycle - Douglas county based non-profit, encouraging kids to earn a bike by improving in 3 areas: Respect, Attendance and Academic Growth. They recycle bicycles to benefit world youth.
- Reasons 2 Ride - Inspiring a healthy, happy community by motivating people to connect with businesses and each other through bicycling.
- Ride for Reading - To help children in low-income areas become healthy and literate.
- The Axel Project - Axel Project is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the fundamental principle that a productive, happy life begins with bikes. RideTime is aimed at providing bicycles, gear, instruction, and educational materials to schools.
- Trips for Kids - Operating in the United States, Canada, Israel and Sierra Leone. Comprised of three programs: youth programs, the Ride Program, and Earn a Bike Programs, as well as social enterprise.
- Wish for Wheels - Founded in 2004, their goal is to give as many kids as possible brand new bikes and helmets, to bring communities together.
- Assisted Cycling Tours - Bike and multi-sport adventures for people with disabilities and their families.
Please also see:
Pedal Dancer® 2015 Cycling Events in the Western United States (and some in Europe)
Pedal Dancer® 2015 Colorado Bike Race Calendar List
Pedal Dancer® 2015 Charity Bike Rides in Colorado
Pedal Dancer® Guide Page to: COLORADO CLIMBS
© Copyright content of this post by Karen Rakestraw / Pedal Dancer® is a trademark for all online content. © All Photos by Karen Rakestraw.